Status: Rare (Less than annual)
Origins: Breeds in the high arctic of northernmost Canada and northeastern Siberia. It winters in the far north and is rarely observed further south.
Record Details: Eight records for Newfoundland:
- The first record was an adult, shot by a hunter in Fogo on December 18, 1976.
- An immature was spotted off Trepassey on May 11, 1985.
- An adult (or possibly 2nd winter) was at Stephenville on January 3-4, 1986.
- An adult was observed ~3km offshore from L’Anse aux Meadows in September 1986.
- Another adult was present at L’Anse aux Meadows from August 9-11, 1991.
- An adult was convincingly reported from Cow Head on December 13, 1991.
- A breeding plumaged adult was observed at Ramea in June 1993.
- A breeding plumaged adult was seen and photographed at Torbay on April 29-30, 2014.
* NOTE – This website is not an official account and “may” contain incorrect information and/or details of unconfirmed records. *