Winter Birding Packages (includes accommodations)
Join BirdTheRock Bird & Nature Tours for a guided tour to see some of Newfoundland’s most famous winter birds!
This package includes accommodations (room and breakfast) at the beautiful & historic Georgestown Inn in St. John’s. Join us for a winter getaway!
Our island is renowned for its winter bird specialties – many of which can be found in and around St. John’s. Sought-after seabirds are often found close to shore at coastal locations, bobbing around in historic harbours or below rugged cliffs. Rare European waterfowl routinely winter along with local North American species and provide point-blank views. Some years, northern finches are present in large numbers and can be found feasting on bountiful cone crops. St. John’s is also known for the huge number and rich diversity of winter gulls – some of which normally live so far north that this is “south” for them. And sometimes a rarity or two can be found to add a little extra excitement to our day!
This tour typically begins at Cape Spear (the easternmost point in North America) followed by a visits to nearby fishing villages. The remainder of the day is spent looking for special birds in one of Canada’s oldest cities. Multi-day tours include an opportunity to explore the rugged coast, quaint villages and beautiful forests of the “Irish Loop”.
Packages starting at $369 +HST for one day of guided birding + one night’s accommodations. ($479 +HST for two people, based on double occupancy). Tours include lunch; breakfast included with room at the Georgestown Inn. Discounts available for bookings of 3+ days.
Contact us for more information or to book your winter birding getaway
Birding, Tourism & COVID-19
During these days of global health concerns, your health & safety are our priority. These are some of the steps we are taking to keep everyone well:
- At this time, tours are limited to one “bubble” – you and your travel companions.
- All guests will be asked to complete a pre-tour health survey. Your guide will review a COVID-19 health checklist with you at the beginning of your tour, and confirm that (s)he is also safe to accompany you.
- Vehicles and high-touch surfaces are cleaned and disinfected between tours.
- Please be aware that (non-medical) masks are currently mandatory in all indoor public spaces (e.g. restaurants & service stations where we may stop) across Newfoundland & Labrador. Masks are not required outdoors or within your bubble while birding, but your guide will be sure to ask about and abide by your preferences at all times.
- We will reassess the current health situation regularly, abide by all public health guidelines and choose our destinations/activities with everyone’s health in mind. You are placing your trust in us, and we understand how important that is in these uncertain times.
*** Please be advised that Newfoundland & Labrador currently has travel restrictions in place for visitors outside the Atlantic provinces. Please check the Government website for the most up-to-date information and how it might affect your travel plans. ***